William H. Green
Bill emphasizes the fact that Hopping Green & Sams evolved together with the Florida branches of government it deals with and the nation in the Environmental and Land Use practice areas.
The firm has decades of regular interactions with clients, regulators, lawmakers, and judges at virtually every level from which it draws invaluable experience. Bill’s practice, because of background and inclination, naturally gravitated toward matters that involve cutting edge scientific or technical issues where both state and federal agencies are engaged. Bill became Of Counsel to the firm in 2010 to pursue his interests in cosmology. Bill continues to consult with the firm and clients in selected cases.
- Emory University, MBA (1st in Class, Most Outstanding Academic Achievement Award, Faculty Awards in Finance, Marketing, and Decision & Information Analysis, Elected Class Orator, Elected to Beta Gamma Sigma, Honorary Academic Society)
- Georgetown University, J.D. (Trial Team Moot Court)
- University of South Carolina, Ph.D. in Chemistry, (Elected to Sigma Xi, Honorary Research Society)
- University of South Carolina, B.S.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court (Northern District of Florida, Southern District of Florida, Middle District of Florida)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Fifth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Tallahassee Bar Association
- American Physical Society, Elected Fellow
- Royal Astronomical Society (Great Britain), Member Astrophysics Group
- Florida State University, Department of Physics (2010-present)
- Tallahassee Committee on Foreign Relations, 2012- present
- Economic Club of Tallahassee, 2009-present
- Florida Research Consortium, Board of Directors, 2007-present
- North Florida Committee on Foreign Relations, Member, 2008-2011
- Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra, Board of Directors, 2006-2011
- Tallahassee Scientific Society, Board of Directors, (Vice President 1994-1996; President 1997-1998)
Awards & Recognition
- Named the 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” in Best Lawyers in America for Environmental Law
- Listed in Best Lawyers publication for Environmental Law and Water Law 1997-2018 editions
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2015 editions
- Listed in 2010 Legal 500 for Real Estate/Land Use & Zoning
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2003-2009 editions
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Who’s Who Legal: Florida 2008, for Environmental Law
- Elected Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers (2009), Emeritus Fellow (2011)
Represents clients in federal, state and local administrative and judicial forums, and legislative forums.
Participated in the development and implementation of many Florida and federal environmental laws; represented clients on a wide array of environmental law issues.
Experience in Everglades restoration activities and related litigation.
Lead counsel obtaining necessary permits for exploratory gas well in inland waters.
Experience in discharge permitting, rulemaking, legislation and litigation, including those involving surface and groundwater nutrients and other parameters requiring regulatory relief.
Publications & Presentations
24 scientific journal publications on molecular spectroscopy, laser physics, and laser-induced infrared fluorescence studies of collisional energy transfer kinetics.
International Environmental Conference, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, at the invitation of the Minister of Protection of the Environment and Natural Resources of the Russian Federation: presented paper on the creation of an improved environmental assessment/licensing process for new electrical generating facilities in Russia.