In every economic climate, governmental entities and developers seek to finance public infrastructure for new development and to address the growing need to update aging infrastructure. Hopping Green & Sams’ public finance group has served as developer’s counsel, issuer’s counsel, trustee’s counsel, bondholder’s counsel, and underwriter’s counsel for more than $2 billion in governmental bonds, issued to finance the acquisition and construction of public infrastructure such as roads, utilities, stormwater systems, amenities, and other infrastructure. Throughout this process, Hopping Green & Sams’ lawyers have developed relationships with key industry leaders, including developers, bond trustees, bondholders, underwriters, and their counsel, allowing the group to better facilitate complex bond issuances and restructurings.
Our experience includes:
- Serving as counsel to developers, trustees, bondholders, underwriters and governmental issuers on matters involving land secured, tax-exempt debt obligations, including special assessment bonds, capital appreciation bonds (convertible and non-convertible), gulf opportunity zone revenue bonds, health care revenue bonds and bank qualified bonds
- Representing clients in complex debt restructuring transactions, including bond redemptions, tender offers, forbearance / forgiveness agreements, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, bond restructurings, and other “work-out” arrangements
- Representing clients in connection with the foreclosure of special assessment liens securing debt obligations
- Representing clients in connection with landowner bankruptcies involving special assessment liens and loan agreements securing the repayment of governmental bond
- Securing a validation judgment for a special district of $10.5 billion, which represented at the time the largest validation judgment secured by any single special district in Florida