Peter has been with Hopping Green & Sams since the firm was founded. He has over thirty years experience in Environmental and Administrative Law in Florida, including participation in the legislative process, rulemaking, permitting, litigation, and appellate work. In recent years, his practice has focused on the siting and licensing of power plants and other energy facilities.
- Represents clients before local, regional, State and Federal government officials, agencies, courts and elected bodies, including county commissions, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida’s Governor and Cabinet, the Florida Legislature, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, on a variety of environmental, energy, and regulatory matters.
- Advises and represents clients on the siting and licensing of complex energy infrastructure, including electric power plants, transmission lines and pipelines. Has served as lead outside counsel in the successful licensing of more than 16,000 megawatts of new and modernized electrical generating capacity.
- Extensive experience in air quality management and regulation, including legislation, rulemaking, permitting, compliance and enforcement. Has represented a wide range of clients in these areas, including investor-owned, municipally-owned and cooperatively-owned electric utilities, manufacturers of coffee, sugar, boats, pulp and paper, phosphate, cement, asphalt, steel, glass and chemical products, as well as municipal solid waste authorities and recycling companies.
- Represented Florida’s Electric Utilities on energy policy issues in connection with Governor Bush’s Energy 2020 Study Commission, and before the Florida Legislature.
Representative Published Decisions
- Palm Beach County Environmental Coalition v. Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection, 14 So.3d 1076 4th DCA ( 2009)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. v. State, 693 So.2d 1025 1st DCA (1997)
- Fla. Power Corp. v. State Dep’t of Envitl. Reg., 431 So.2d 684 1st DCA (1983)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. v. Costle, 683 F.2d 941 5th Cir. (1982)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. Riviera Beach Energy Center, Application No. PA09-54, 32 F.A.L.R. 1436, 2009 WL 5848995 Fla. Dep’t Envtl. Protection Final Order of Certification (Nov. 24, 2009)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. Cape Canaveral Energy Center, Application No. PA08-53, 32 F.A.L.R. 1107 (Fla. Dep’t Envtl. Protection Final Order of Certification (Oct. 9, 2009)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. West County Energy Center Unit 3 Power Plant Siting Application No. PA05-47SA1, 31 F.A.L.R. 2030, 2008 WL 5206183 Fla. Dep’t Envtl. Protection Final Order of Certification (Nov. 15, 2008)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. West County Energy Center Power Plant Siting Application No. PA 05-47, 29 F.A.L.R. 2596, 2006 WL 3868922 Fla. Siting Bd. Final Order of Certification (Dec. 21, 2006)
- Fla. Power & Light Turkey Point Unit 5 Power Plant Siting Application No. PA03-45, 2005 WL 1317531 Fla. Siting Bd. Final Order of Certification (Feb. 07, 2005)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. Martin Unit 8 Power Plant Siting Application No. PA89-27A, 2003 WL 21207103 Fla. Siting Bd. Final Order of Certification (Apr. 11, 2003)
- Fla. Power & Light Co. Manatee Unit 3 Power Plant Siting Application No. PA02-44, 2003 WL 21207102 Fla. Siting Bd. Final Order of Certification (Apr. 11, 2003)
- Lauderdale Repowering Project, Power Plant Site Certification Application, Fla. Power & Light Company, PA89-26, 1991 WL 441709 Fla. Siting Bd. ( Jan. 10, 1991)
- Transgulf Pipeline Co. v. Bd. of County Comm’rs of Gadsden County, et al., 1985 WL 306209 Final Order (Jan. 28, 1986)
- Samole, et al. v. Fla. Power & Light Co. & Dep’t of Envtl. Reg., 1985 WL 26129, Final Order (Feb. 22, 1985)
Publications & Presentations
- Chapter on Air Quality Regulation and Permitting in Florida Bar’s Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise, (Co-Author).
- Air Quality Regulation, Power Plant Siting and Energy Policy at numerous Statewide and Southeast U.S. conferences, seminars and workshops at events sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Florida Chamber of Commerce, the Air and Waste Management Association and the Florida Bar(Speaker).
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, for Environmental Law, 2004-2018 Editions.
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2017 Editions.
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2004-2008 Editions.
- Listed in 2004-2006 Editions of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite”.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Listed in Corporate Counsel, Top Lawyers for Environmental Law (May 2008).
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal for Environmental Law in Florida (2008).