Mohammad is a shareholder with Hopping Green & Sams. Mo litigates in state and federal courts, representing clients in Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act rulemaking and enforcement cases, federal telecommunications matters, Everglades restoration, takings cases, pricing disputes, and general civil appeals. Mo earned a B.S., B.A., and J.D. from the University of Florida, and roots for all things Gator orange and blue.
- Represented the Florida Secretary of State in 13 federal cases during the 2018 election cycle; 10 cases dismissed; 3 remain pending.
- Represented the 2018 Florida Elections Canvassing Commission (Attorney General Bondi, Commissioner Putnam, and Senator Bradley) in case challenging the certification of Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s re-election. Obtained dismissal of case after evidentiary hearing.
- Served as outside counsel to political campaigns in state and federal elections.
Represents Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative of Florida on Everglades-related issues.
- Represents municipal interests from 8 Southeastern States on issues related to the Waters of the United States rulemaking.
- Represents Florida’s electric and wastewater utilities, and municipal stormwater interests in Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act rulemaking and enforcement cases before the federal district courts, the circuit courts of appeal, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Briefed, argued, and obtained unanimous ruling and attorney’s fees from Florida Supreme Court in a property rights case that resolved a split between the en banc First District and a panel of the Second District Courts of Appeal.
Represented third parties in redistricting matters, developing and raising First Amendment argument for relief.
- Authored amici curiae briefs before the U.S. Supreme Court in County of Maui v. Hawai’I Wildlife Fund (Clean Water Act Case), T-Mobile South LLC v. City of Roswell, Georgia (Telecommunications Act Case), L.A. County Flood Control District v. Natural Resources Defense Council (Clean Water Act Case), and Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District (takings case).
- Served as lead counsel for the City of Tallahassee in its successful defense of a case under the Telecommunications Act of 1996, and then served as lead counsel for a telecommunications provider in its successful prosecution of a case against a Georgia municipality under the same Act.
- Represented General Motors in its successful challenge to assessments by the Florida Department of Revenue on the value of goodwill repairs performed by dealers and reimbursed by General Motors under its case-by-case adjustment program.
- Represented ExxonMobil in its successful resolution of a case filed against it under Florida’s price-gouging statute.
- Developed strategy to convince Florida Supreme Court to recede from 20 years of precedent on civil procedure issue after termination of prior counsel shortly before oral argument.
- Helped major municipal utility avoid all civil penalties in Clean Water Act enforcement case.
- Represented major phosphate mining company in Clean Air Act enforcement matter.
Representative Published Decisions
- Alford v. Walton County, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 173560 (2018)
- PI Telecom Infrastructure LLC v. City of Jacksonville, 104 F. Supp. 3d 1321 (2015)
- T-Mobile S. v. City of Roswell, Ga., 135 S. Ct. 808 (2015) (amicus)
- EPA v. EME Homer City Generation, L.P., 134 S. Ct. 1584 (2014) (respondent)
- Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District, 133 S. Ct. 832 (2013) (amici)
- TowerCom V, LLC v. City of College Park, Ga., 2013 WL 4714203 (N.D. Ga. Aug. 21, 2013)
- EME Homer City Generation, L.P. v. Environmental Protection Agency, 696 F.3d 7 (D.C. Cir. 2012)
- New Cingular Wireless PSC, LLC v. City of Tallahassee, 856 F. Supp. 2d 1244 (N.D. Fla. 2012)
- Department of Revenue v. General Motors, LLC, 104 So. 3d 119, (Fla. 1st DCA 2012)
- Florida Wildlife Federation, Inc. v. Jackson, 853 F. Supp. 2d 1138 (N.D. Fla. 2012)
- Florida Wildlife Federation, Inc. v. South Florida Water Management District, 647 F.3d 1296 (11th Cir. 2011)
- St. Johns River Water Management District v. Koontz, 77 So. 3d 1220 (Fla. 2011) (amici)
- Westgate Miami Beach, Ltd. v. Newport Operating Corp. 55 So. 3d 567 (Fla. 2010)
- ExxonMobil Oil Corp. v. State, Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, 50 So. 3d 755 (Fla. 1st DCA 2010)
Publications & Presentations
- Numeric Nutrient Criteria in Florida: The Road to Cooperative Federalism, ABA Trends, (November/December 2015) (lead author with David W. Childs as co-author).
- Koontz: An Evolution – Not a Revolution – in Takings Law, Natural Resources & Environment, ABA Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Volume 28, Number 4, Supreme Court Review (Spring 2014).
- EPA Clears Muddy Waters With Revisions to the 2009 Construction and Development Rule, Water Quality and Wetlands Committee Newsletter, ABA Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Volume 12, No. 2 (May 2014)
- Koontz: Tilting the Bargaining Table Ever so Slightly – American Planning Association Florida Chapter Newsletter (Fall 2013)
- The Cross-State Air Pollution Rule: Will EPA Learn From Experience? ABA Trends, (January/February 2013) (lead author with Joseph A. Brown as co-author).
- Why Should You Care About Numeric Nutrient Criteria, ActionLine, Florida Bar Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section (Spring 2012) (co-author with Vinette D. Godelia).
- EPA Imposes Strict Numeric Nutrient Criteria in Florida: Background & Implications, ABA Trends, (November/December 2011) (lead author with David W. Childs as co-author).
- The Statewide Stormwater Rule: A Work in Progress, Florida Water Resources Journal, (November 2010).
- An Eerie Erie Question: Does Florida’s Offer of Judgment Statute Apply in Maritime Cases?, 21 Fla. J. Int’l L. 357 (2009) (lead author with Judge David C. Miller as co-author) (cited by appellants and recommendation followed by en banc court in Royal Caribbean Cruises v. Cox, 137 So. 3d 1157 (Fla. 3d DCA 2014)).
- Frequent presenter at Florida Chamber, Southeast Stormwater Association, Florida Stormwater Association, and other environmental conferences on property rights, the Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act, and the Tri-State Water Litigation.
- Presenter on federalism, separation of powers, sovereign immunity issues, and First and Fourteenth Amendment issues.
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2020 Edition.
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication of Florida Super Lawyers, 2013-2020 editions.
- Listed in 2018-2020 editions of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Up & Coming Legal Elite.”
- First Place Finish at 2016 Ocala Truck and Tractor Pull Competition.