Jere’s practice focuses primarily on special taxing districts and related foreclosure and bankruptcy litigation. In this arena, he represents a variety of clients, including both developer and resident controlled districts, as well as bondholders who have interests in such districts.
- Experience representing landowners and developers regarding the use of special taxing districts as a way to finance and manage infrastructure for development
- Experience serving as general counsel to special taxing districts, addressing among other issues, district establishment, boundary amendments, bond validation, bond issuance and financing, contracts, real property issues, procurement (and bid protests), Sunshine law and public records issues, and other local government issues
- Experience representing special district issuers and bondholders in complex, agreed upon debt restructuring transactions, including bond redemptions, tender offers, forbearance / forgiveness agreements, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, bond restructurings, and other “work-out” arrangements
- Experience representing special district issuers and bondholders in foreclosure and bankruptcy proceedings
- Experience representing clients in state and federal bankruptcy, trial and appellate courts, before the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings, before state and federal agencies, and in mediation proceedings
Publications & Presentations
- CDD Boot Camp, On-Line Video Presentation for Florida Bar Real Property Section (June 2016).
- The Road Less Traveled – Opportunities to Finance Stormwater Infrastructure with Special Districts, Southeastern Stormwater Association Annual Conference (Oct. 2014).
- The Role of Community Development Districts in Florida, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (2014) (Co-Author).
- Navigating a Brave New World: Buyers, Sellers, CDDs & the Economic Recovery, Florida Bar Real Property Section, Commercial Real Estate Committee (Feb. 2014) (Co-Presenter).
- The Sun Also Rises: CDDs, Lenders & the Economic Recovery, Florida Bar Real Property Section, Real Property Finance and Lending Committee (Feb. 2013) (Co-Presenter).
- Secrets of CDDs: Unveiling the Mysteries and Unlocking the Possibilities, Florida Bar CLE, Environmental & Real Property Sections (Jan. 2013) (Co-Chair).
- CDDs: An Alternative to Conventional Community Management, November 2012.