Gary Perko’s practice primarily involves litigation that is in some way related to governmental action. The vast majority of Gary’s cases have involved the interplay between government and private industry. He has served as first-chair in numerous, multi-day evidentiary hearings before the Division of Administrative Hearings in cases involving several different state agencies, and before the Florida Public Service Commission in public utility regulatory proceedings.
- Represents clients before governmental agencies and courts in a variety of regulatory contexts, including environmental law, public utilities regulation, and public contracting.
- Experience with administrative litigation including power plant need determination and site certification proceedings, permit challenges, rule challenges, and bid protests.
- Represents utilities in cost recovery and other regulatory proceedings before the Florida Public Service Commission.
- Regularly interacts with corporate staff on regulatory matters related to environmental compliance and other issues, particularly in the areas of air and water quality.
- Represents clients in state and federal enforcement actions alleging noncompliance with environmental laws.
- Experience in judicial appeals involving constitutional, environmental, and administrative law.
Representative Published Decisions
- Atlantic Civil, Inc. v. Florida Power & Light Co. and Fla. Dep’t of Envtl. Protection., DOAH Case No. 15-1746, 2016 Fla. ENV LEXIS 21, 2016 ER FALR 42 (Fla. DEP 2016)
- In re: Florida Power & Light Co. Turkey Point Power Plant Units 3-5 Modifications to Conditions of Cert., DOAH Case No. 15-1559EPP, 2016 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 219 (Fla. Siting Bd. 2016)
- Tropical Audubon Society v. Florida Power & Light Co., DOAH Case No. 15-3845, 2016 Fla. ENV LEXIS 11, 16 ER FALR 29, 16 ER FALR 29 (South Fla. Water Mgmt. Dist. 2016)
- Florida Audubon Society v. Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative of Fla., 171 So. 3d 790 (Fla. 2nd DCA 2015)
- Palm Beach County Envtl. Coalition v. Fla. Dep’t of Envtl. Protection, 14 So. 3d 1076 (Fla. 4th DCA 2009)
- Mitigation, Inc., LLC., v. Resource Conservation Holdings, Inc., and Fla. Dep’t of Envtl. Protection, DOAH Case No. 08-5950, 2008 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 551 (Fla. DEP 2009)
- Seminole Elec. Cooperative, Inc. v. Fla. Dep’t of Envtl. Protection, 985 So. 2d 615 (Fla. 5th DCA 2008)
- Miccosukee Tribe of Indians v. Fla. Dep’t of Envtl. Protection, DOAH Case Nos. 03-2872RP,03-2873RP and 03-2884RP, 2004 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 1667 (Fla. Div’n Admin. Hearings 2004).
- Florida Audubon Society vs. South Fla. Water Mgmt. Dist. and Lennar Homes, Inc., DOAH Case No. 02-1629, 2003 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 1266 (South Fla. Water Mgmt. Dist. 2003)
- Caribbean Conservation Corp. v. Fla. Fish & Wildlife Conservation Comm’n, 838 So. 2d 492 (Fla. 2003) (amicus)
- Barley v. South Fla. Water Mgmt. Dist., 823 So. 2d 73 (Fla. 2002) (amicus)
- Miccosukee Tribe of Indians v. South Fla. Water Mgmt. Dist., 721 So. 2d 389 (Fla. 3rd DCA 1998)
- Advisory Opinion to the Governor, No. 90,042, 706 So. 2d 278 (Fla. 1997) (amicus)
- Florida Power & Light Co. v. State, Siting Board, 693 So. 2d 1025 (Fla. 1st DCA 1997)
- In re: Petition to determine need for Seminole combined cycle facility, by Seminole Electric Cooperative, Inc.. Order No. PSC-2018-0262-FOF-EC (Fla. PSC 2018)
- In re: Joint petition for determination of need for Shady Hills combined cycle facility in Pasco County, by Seminole Electric Cooperative, Inc. and Shady Hills Energy Center, LLC., Order No. PSC-2018-0263-FOF-EC (Fla. PSC 2018)
- In re: Commission review of numeric conservation goals (JEA), Docket No. 080413-EG, Order No. PSC-09-0855-FOF-EG; 2009 Fla. PUC LEXIS 1153, 09 FPSC 12:295 (Fla. PSC 2009)
- In re: Petition to determine need for Florida EnergySecure Pipeline by Florida Power & Light Co., Order No. PSC-09-0715-FOF-EI, 2009 Fla. PUC LEXIS 787; 09 FPSC 10:181 (Fla. PSC 2009)
- In re: Petition to determine need for Greenland Energy Ctr. Combined Cycle Conversion by JEA, Order No. PSC-09-0111-FOE-EM, 2009 Fla. PUC LEXIS 90, 09 FPSC 2:120 (Fla. PSC 2009)
- In re: Petition to determine need for Cane Island Power Park Unit 4 electrical power plant by Florida Municipal Power Agency, Order No. PSC-08-0506-FOF-EM, 2008 Fla. PUC LEXIS 273, 08 FPSC 8:110 (Fla. PSC 2008)
- In re: Petition by Progress Energy Fla., Inc. for approval to recover modular cooling tower costs through environmental cost recovery clause, Order No. PSC-07-0722-FOF-EI, 2007 Fla. PUC LEXIS 519 (Fla. PSC 2007)
- In re: Petition to determine need for Treasure Coast Energy Center Unit 1, proposed electrical power plant, by Florida Municipal Power Agency, Order No. PSC-05-0781-FOF-EM (Fla. PSC 2005)
- In re: Petition for approval of two unit power sales agreements with Southern Co. Servs., Inc. for purposes of cost recovery through capacity and fuel cost recovery clauses, by Progress Energy Fla., Inc., Order No. PSC-05-0699-FOF-EI, 2005 Fla. PUC LEXIS 486, 05 FPSC 6:297 (Fla. PSC 2005)
- In re: Application for rate increase by City Gas Co. of Fla., Order No. PSC-04-0128-PAA-GU, 2004 Fla. PUC LEXIS 91, 231 P.U.R.4th 341, 04 FPSC 2:58 (Fla. PSC 2004)
- Verizon Bus. Network Servs. ex rel. v. Fla. Dep’t of Corrections, 960 So. 2d 916 (Fla. 1st DCA 2007)
- Consultech of Jacksonville, Inc., vs. Dep’t of Health, and Information Servs. of Fla., Inc., DOAH Case No. 03-0129BID, 2003 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 388 (2003)
- Correctional Servs. Corp. vs. Dep’t of Juvenile Justice, and Ramsay Youth Servs., Inc., DOAH Case Nos. 02-2966BID; 02-2967BID, 2002 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 1497 (2002)
- Youthtrack, Inc., vs. Dep’t of Juvenile Justice, and Ramsay Youth Servs., Inc., DOAH Case No. 99-4403BID,2000 Fla. Div. Adm. Hear. LEXIS 5121 (2000).
- Dep’t of Revenue v. GM LLC, 104 So. 3d 1191 (Fla. 1st DCA 2012)
- Crescent Miami Ctr., LLC v. Fla. Dep’t of Revenue, 903 So. 2d 913 (Fla. 2005) (amicus)
- Advisory Opinion re: Additional Homestead Tax Exemption, 880 So. 2d 646 (Fla. 2004) (amicus)
- Suromar Corp. v. Palm Beach County Prop. Appraiser, 872 So. 2d 974 (Fla. 4th DCA 2004) (amicus)
Publications & Presentations
- The Other Mount Mitchell Controversies: The ‘Real Property’ History of North Carolina’s Highest Mountain Range, Vol. 95 North Carolina Historical Review, pp. 47-88 (2018)
- Spillover from the Exxon Valdez: North Carolina’s New Offshore Oil Spill Statute, Vol. 68, North Carolina Law Review, pp. 1214-35 (1990).
- State v. Beale and the Killing of a Viable Fetus: An Exercise in Statutory Construction and the Potential for Legislative Reform, Vol. 68 North Carolina Law Review, pp. 1144-58 (1990).
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Energy Law 2007-2020.
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2019 edition.
- Listed in 2015 edition of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite”.
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2013 Tallahassee Energy Law “Lawyer of the Year”.
- William T. Joyner Award for Excellence in Writing for the North Carolina Law Review, 1990-1991.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.