David represents businesses and local governments on environmental permitting, enforcement, rulemaking, and legislative issues, with a focus on water policy and marine industry issues.
David serves as primary legal counsel for Florida’s statewide association of domestic wastewater treatment utilities, and he represents Florida electric utilities on water policy and permitting matters. David’s work includes executive and legislative branch representation concerning the reuse of reclaimed water
- Represents business, trade associations, and local government clients before the Florida Legislature, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, and water management districts on a range of environmental and water policy issues, including TMDLs, basin management action plans, water quality standards, and regional water supply plans.
- Representative state government relations clients include the Florida Chamber of Commerce, Florida Electric Power Coordinating Group, Mosaic, Florida Water Environment Association Utility Council, and National Marine Manufacturers Association.
- Previously worked as an engineer in CH2M Hill’s Water Business Group.
Representative Published Decisions
- Seminole Elec. Co-op., Inc. v. Department of Environmental Protection, 985 So.2d 615 (Fla. 5th DCA 2008)
- In re Seminole Elec. Co-op, Inc., 2009 WL 3122567, 14 E.A.D. 468 E.A.B. (Sept. 22, 2009)
- Florida Wildlife Federation, Inc. v. South Florida Water Management Dist., 647 F.3d 1296 (11th Cir. 2011)
- Florida Wildlife Federation, Inc. v. Jackson, 2012 WL 537529, 853 F. Supp. 2d 1138 (N.D. Fla. 2012)
Publications & Presentations
- The Comprehensive Water Law: Its Provisions and Significance, The Florida Bar Journal, (February 2017) (co-authored with Jorge Caspary).
- Numeric Nutrient Criteria in Florida: The Road to Cooperative Federalism, ABA Trends, (November/December 2015) (co-authored with Mohammad Jazil).
- Event Moderator, Florida Chamber Environmental Permitting Summer School (2014)
- Numeric Nutrient Criteria: Challenges and Impacts, WEFTech, New Orleans, LA (October 6, 2010) (Co-Presenter).
- Emerging Reclaimed Water Policies in Florida, NACWA 2010 Winter Conference, Austin, TX (February 5, 2010).
- The Endangered Species Act Listing Process, Environmental & Land Use Section of the Florida Bar, Environmental Treatise (2008).
- Incidental Take Permitting & Habitat Conservation Planning, Environmental & Land Use Section of the Florida Bar, Environmental Treatise (2006) (Co-Author).
- The World Health Organization’s Prequalification Program and its Potential Effect on Data Exclusivity Laws, 60 Food & Drug Law Journal 79 (2005).
- The Unresolved Debates that Scorched Kyoto: An Analytical Framework, 13 University of Miami International & Comparative Law Review 233 (2005).
- Book Note, 13 Florida State Journal of Transnational Law & Policy 573 (2004), Environmental Negotiator Handbook (2003).
Awards & Recognition
- Environmental Lobbyist of the Year, 2019, Florida Politics.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Environmental Law, 2019-2020 editions.
- Listed in the 2019 edition of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite”.
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2010-2018 editions.
- Recognized in 2007 and 2018 edition of Florida Trend Magazines’s “Up & Coming Legal Elite”.