For more than 30 years, David has represented clients in the planning and entitlement of complex real estate developments throughout Florida. David emphasizes strategies that position a client to negotiate favorable outcomes during regulatory review because he believes the most important decisions are the ones that a client makes before an application is filed.
- Experience throughout Florida in all facets of land development regulation of master-planned communities, major infrastructure projects, and commercial, industrial, and resort developments.
- Advises clients on large-area plans for major landholdings throughout Florida, including sector plans on agricultural lands and rural landscapes.
- Counsels clients on long-term strategies to “position” property for changing real estate markets and to take advantage of government-funded infrastructure projects.
- Member, Transportation and Land Use Study Committee (1999); Chairman Public Schools Construction Study Commission (1998); and Executive Director, Environmental Land Management Study (ELMS III) Committee (1993).
- Reporter (New York, Miami, Tallahassee bureaus) and Bureau Chief (Tallahassee bureau), The Associated Press, 1975-1981. Reporter, St. Petersburg Times, 1981-1983, and Florida Times-Union (Tallahassee bureau), 1984.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Florida State University, 2003-2017.
Publications & Presentations
- Sector Plans, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (2014) (co-author).
- The Environmental Land and Water Management Act of 1972 – Developments of Regional Impact and Areas of Critical State Concern, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise, (2012) (co-author).
- Administrative and Judicial Review of Land Use Decisions, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (2012) (co-author).
- Green Light for Sector Plans, Florida Bar Journal (September/October 2011).
- The Way We Live, Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law (Fall 2007).
- And Now … School Concurrency, Florida Bar Journal (November 2005) (co-author),
- Growth Management: Florida’s Past As Prologue For The Future, Florida State University Law Review (Winter 2001).
- Back to Basics on School Concurrency, Florida State University Law Review (Winter 1999).
- A Measured Step to Protect Private Property Rights, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1995) (co-author).
- Florida’s New Law to Protect Private Property Rights, Florida Bar Journal (October 1995) (co-author).
- Recent Changes in Concurrency, Florida Bar Journal (November 1994).
- Managing Florida’s Growth: The Next Generation, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1993).
- The Flexible New Approach to DRI Aggregation, Florida Bar Journal (August 1989) (co-author).
- Unfinished Business – Protecting Public Rights to State Lands From Being Lost Under Florida’s Marketable Record Title Act, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1985).
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2007-2020 editions.
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2019 editions.
- Listed in Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” Hall of Fame for Land Use & Zoning Law.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law, 2001-2020 editions.
- Named the Best Lawyers 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in Tallahassee for Litigation-Land Use & Zoning.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year” for Florida (Tallahassee region) in 2011 & 2017 for Land Use & Zoning Law and in 2012 for Real Estate Law.
- 2016 Member of the Year, Urban Land Institute, North Florida District Council.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.