What started as a legal practice concentrating on economic and utility regulatory matters has evolved into more than 25 years experience on the use of special taxing districts as a way to finance, maintain and manage infrastructure for development. Though Cheryl’s experience has taken her throughout the state representing landowners and districts, she now spends a significant portion of her time in Tallahassee
- For more than 30 years, has advised landowners and developers on the economic use of property and the use of special taxing districts as a way to finance and manage infrastructure for development.
- Draft and analyze legislation and represent clients in the state capital on issues relating to special districts, land use, and economic regulation.
- General counsel to numerous community development districts throughout the state, tackling a wide array of contractual, real property, local government, and financial matters as they arise.
- Experience in utility regulation with the Michigan Public Service Commission as an economic analyst; the Wisconsin Public Service Commission as a telecommunications analyst during the break-up of AT&T; and in private legal practice, most recently in the water/wastewater utility field.
Publications & Presentations
- CDDs: Where We’ve Been, Where We Might Go and Where Might We Go?, Florida Bar Land Use CLE,(May 2012) (Presenter/Moderator)
- CDDs: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are, Where Might We Go?, Florida APA, (2011) (Presenter/Moderator)
- Public/Private Partnerships: The Use of Community Development Districts in Florida, Georgia Municipal Association, (2006) (Presenter)
- Sacred Conversations: Telling Your Faith Story, Religious Coalition Against Discrimination (Maine), (April 2012) (Presenter)
- Sacred Conversations: Creating a Faith Dialog About Who We Are, Human Rights Campaign, (October 2011) (Presenter)
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2014 editions.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, for Municipal Law and Project Finance Law, 2011-2020 editions.
- Listed in the 2004-2008, and 2014 editions of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite”.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Listed in 2007-09 Legal 500 for Real Estate/Land Use and Zoning.