On January 15, EPA proposed a number of amendments to the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Reporting Rule, intended to clarify provisions, streamline requirements, and collect more useful data. The amendments would in some instances expand applicability or data reporting requirements, and in others remove or simplify data reporting requirements. In the same action, EPA proposed confidentiality determinations for certain data. 81 Fed. Reg. 2536.
Amendments would impact reporting under various source categories, including, among others:
• Subpart A – General Provisions
• Subpart C – General Stationary Fuel Combustion Sources
• Subpart N – Glass Production
• Subpart S – Lime Manufacturing
• Subpart Z – Phosphoric Acid Production
• Subpart AA – Pulp and Paper Manufacturing
• Subpart DD – Electrical Transmission and Distribution Equipment Use
• Subpart HH – Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
• Subpart II – Industrial Wastewater Treatment
• Subpart MM – Suppliers of Petroleum Products
• Subpart NN – Suppliers of Natural Gas and Natural Gas Liquids
• Subpart TT – Industrial Waste Landfills
EPA’s proposed confidentiality determinations pertain to data from direct emitters or suppliers of GHG, including the following source categories: General Stationary Fuel Combustion Sources, Phosphoric Acid Production, Municipal Solid Waste Landfills, Suppliers of Petroleum Products, and Suppliers of Natural Gas and Natural Gas Liquids. The proposed confidentiality determinations address data that would be newly reported under the changes proposed in this rulemaking, as well as data already being reported (e.g., reclassifying data currently regarded as confidential business information (CBI) to non-CBI).
For additional information, contact Jon Harris Maurer.