Since its founding in 1979, Hopping Green & Sams has represented clients across Florida in obtaining the federal, state, regional, and local environmental and land use approvals required for the construction, expansion, and operation of energy facilities. As a result, we have participated in shaping and implementing energy policies at all levels of Florida government. We work closely with clients on a project’s development, construction, and operation with the objective that it can be carried out economically and in full compliance with applicable regulations. Our clients include public and private utilities, natural gas and oil companies, and renewable and other energy developers.
Our Experience includes:
- Licensing most of the electrical power plants certified under Florida’s Electrical Power Plant Siting Act, representing over 25,000 megawatts of the 37,000 megawatts of generating capacity;
- Permitting the modernizations of existing electrical power plants into efficient electrical generating facilities;
- Licensing a variety of electrical generating facilities that use natural gas, oil, coal, biomass, waste, solar, and nuclear fuel;
- Licensing the majority of the electric transmission lines approved under Florida’s Electric Transmission Line Siting Act, comprising over 705 miles of transmission lines;
- Obtaining certificates of need from the Florida Public Service Commission for new power plants, transmission lines, and intrastate natural gas pipelines;
- Siting and licensing new liquid or natural gas pipelines and associated facilities; and
- Permitting oil production facilities, both on land and offshore.