Jon Harris’s practice focuses primarily on environmental law, including the siting and licensing of energy facilities, natural gas pipelines, and associated transmission infrastructure. He assists clients in navigating multi-agency review under Florida’s Power Plant Siting Act, Transmission Line Siting Act, and Natural Gas Pipeline Siting Act. This complex administrative litigation requires regulatory review and agency coordination on a wide variety of issues such as engineering constraints,
- Advises clients on regulatory matters for the siting and licensing of power plants, substations, high-voltage electrical transmission lines, substations, pipelines, and associated facilities.
- Represents clients before the Florida Department of Environmental Protection on the applicability of state and federal air and water quality regulations and permit requirements.
- Counsels clients on state-owned land easements and on state oil, gas, mineral, and canal reservations on private lands.
- Represents state and federal candidates before state election agencies and the Federal Elections Commission on ballot access and campaign finance.
- Advises clients on regulatory developments for drone use.
Representative Published Decisions
- Florida Power & Light Company Turkey Point Units 6 & 7 Power Plant Siting Application No. PA 03-45A3, DOAH Case No. 09-3575EPP (Fla. Div. Admin. Hrgs.), Final Order Certification May 19, 2014
Publications & Presentations
- “Views from Above: Drones in Land Use,” Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section (2016) (panelist)
- Exempting Water Transfers: Watering Down Clear Statutory Protections, 27 J. Land Use & Envtl. L. 383 (2012)
- Environment, Energy, and Resources Law: The Year in Review 2012, ABA Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources; “Chapter 2 – Air Quality” (2012, 2013, 2014) (contributor)
- Air Law Practice & Research, Florida State University College of Law (2013, 2014) (lecturer)
Awards & Recognition
- Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Judy Florence Memorial Service Award
- Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Wade Hopping Memorial Scholarship
- Florida State University College of Law, Goldstein Scholar for environmental law
- Rice University Dean Cameron Service Award
- Florida State University College of Law, Public Interest Fellowship
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication of Florida Super Lawyers, 2016 Edition.