French’s practice is primarily focused in the area of state and local taxation. French began his legal career at the Florida Department of Revenue, where he quickly rose to the position of Deputy Director of Technical Assistance and Dispute Resolution. There he oversaw more than fifty department attorneys, accountants and auditors in charge of legal guidance, agency rulemaking, and informal audit protests. French assists businesses with Florida tax planning and controversies. Additionally,
- Represents clients on state and local tax issues before the Florida Department of Revenue, in the Florida courts, before the Division of Administrative Hearings and the Florida Legislature.
- Represents businesses before the Florida Legislature by monitoring and reporting on legislation, preparing amendments, testifying before legislative committees, developing coalitions and advocating clients’ positions to legislators and legislative staff.
- Served as Deputy Director for the Florida Department of Revenue, Technical Assistance and Dispute Resolution, and counseled the agency on a variety of state and local tax issues, including Florida’s communications services, corporate income, documentary stamps, and sales and use taxes.
- Counsels and represents corporate clients with Florida sales tax problems, including commercial rental transactions, real estate development, manufacturing operations, retail operations, construction, publishing, electric and telecommunications utilities, financial services, entertainment and hospitality industries.
- Advised study commissions and task forces on state and local tax policy, including the Communications Services Tax Working Group (2012).
Publications & Presentations
- The 2016 Amendments to the APA: Say Goodbye to United Wisconsin – and More, Florida Bar Journal, Volume 90, Number 9, September – October 2016 (co-author)
- Southeast & Federal Tax Legislative Update, FICPA MEGA Conference (2016) (co-presenter)
- Transfer Taxes – Minimizing the Property Taxes Paid at Closing, IPT Property Tax Symposium (2014) (panelist)
- Sales Tax Building for Real Property Contractors, Florida CPA Today, May-June 2009
- Rebirth of CERCLA Section 107 Contribution Actions: New Life PRPs that Conduct Voluntary Cleanups After Aviall, 14 Buffalo Environmental Law Journal, 211 (2007)
- Tax Issues Facing the Department and the Effect on Taxpayers, Florida Bar & FICPA State Tax Conference, May 2011 (panelist)
- Florida State and Local Tax Update, Florida State University Fall Accounting Conference, November 2010 (panelist)
- Rule Updates, FICPA Florida State Tax/Florida Department of Revenue Liaison Meeting, November 2010 & November 2011
- Sales Tax Issues for Not-for-Profits, FICPA Florida State University Spring Accounting Conference, May 2009
Awards & Recognition
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication for Florida Super Lawyers, 2016 Edition by Super Lawyers Magazine.