For more than 25 years, David has represented clients in the planning and entitlement of complex real estate developments throughout Florida. He emphasizes strategies that position a client to negotiate favorable outcomes during regulatory review of a project’s uses, densities and intensities of use, transportation, resource protection, affordable housing and other subjects. David believes the most important decisions in the development review process must be made before an application is filed.
- Represents clients throughout Florida on real estate developments, including master-planned communities, commercial, industrial and resort developments, in both urban settings and greenfield sites.
- Experience in all facets of land development regulation of complex projects, including comprehensive plan approval, Development of Regional Impact (DRI) review and approval, zoning, subdivision platting, impact fees, and annexation.
- Represents clients in large-area planning on major landholdings throughout Florida, including sector plans on agricultural lands and rural landscapes.
- Assesses regulatory constraints on real property for “due diligence” in real estate transactions.
- Advises lenders, bondholders and trustees on entitlement-related issues in foreclosures and workouts.
- Counsels clients on long-term strategies to “position” property for changing real estate markets.
- Member, Transportation and Land Use Study Committee, which recommended transportation concurrency laws enacted by the Legislature in 1999.
- Chairman, Public Schools Construction Study Commission, which recommended school concurrency laws enacted by the Legislature in 1998 and 2005.
- Executive Director, Environmental Land Management Study (ELMS III) Committee, which recommended state land use and growth management laws enacted by the Legislature in 1993.
- Reporter (New York, Miami, Tallahassee bureaus) and Bureau Chief (Tallahassee bureau), The Associated Press, 1975-1981. Reporter, St. Petersburg Times, 1981-1983, and Florida Times-Union (Tallahassee bureau), 1984.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Florida State University.
Publications & Presentations
- Sector Plans, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (2014) (co-author).
- The Environmental Land and Water Management Act of 1972 – Developments of Regional Impact and Areas of Critical State Concern, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise, (2012) (co-author).
- Administrative and Judicial Review of Land Use Decisions, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (2012) (co-author).
- Green Light for Sector Plans, Florida Bar Journal (September/October 2011).
- The Way We Live, Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law (Fall 2007).
- And Now … School Concurrency, Florida Bar Journal (November 2005) (co-author),
- Growth Management: Florida’s Past As Prologue For The Future, Florida State University Law Review (Winter 2001).
- Back to Basics on School Concurrency, Florida State University Law Review (Winter 1999).
- A Measured Step to Protect Private Property Rights, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1995) (co-author).
- Florida’s New Law to Protect Private Property Rights, Florida Bar Journal (October 1995) (co-author).
- Recent Changes in Concurrency, Florida Bar Journal (November 1994).
- Managing Florida’s Growth: The Next Generation, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1993).
- The Flexible New Approach to DRI Aggregation, Florida Bar Journal (August 1989) (co-author).
- Unfinished Business – Protecting Public Rights to State Lands From Being Lost Under Florida’s Marketable Record Title Act, Florida State University Law Review (Fall 1985).
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2007-2016 Editions.
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2016 Editions.
- Listed in 2004-2009 and 2011 – 2016 Editions of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite”.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers “Lawyers of the Year” for Florida (Tallahassee region) in 2011 & 2017 for Land Use & Zoning Law and in 2012 for Real Estate Law; listed in Best Lawyers in America, for Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law, 2001-2017 Editions.