Since joining the firm in 2003, Carl has represented and counseled clients on solid and hazardous waste management, waste recycling, alternative fuels, hazardous substance and pollutant releases, and property contamination issues. He represents clients on regulatory and compliance matters at federal, state and local levels, including representation before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Justice, and Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
- Represents clients on solid and hazardous waste regulatory compliance issues, including agency enforcement actions, permitting, petroleum regulation, solid waste disposal, and the assessment and remediation of contaminated groundwater, surface water, and soils.
- Represents clients on the reuse of waste materials, industrial by-products, and other alternative fuels.
- Represents clients in commercial real estate transactions, including contaminated property transactions and due diligence investigations.
- Represents special taxing districts on various issues related to contracts, property transactions, public procurement, ethics and public records.
- Represents clients in federal, state, and local administrative and judicial forums on various environmental and administrative law and litigation matters.
Publications & Presentations
- Transportation of Hazardous Waste, Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar, Environmental Treatise (2012) (Co-Author).
- CERCLA Administrative Enforcement Process, Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar, Environmental Treatise (2012) (Co-Author).
- C&D Wood-Derived Fuel: Our Country’s Lowest Hanging Fruit Is Ready for Harvest (Part 1: EPA’s Recent Definition of Secondary Materials), C&D World, Vol. 4, No. 3. (May/June 2011) (Co-Author).
- Wasting Away the Treasure Chest: EPA’s Definition of Solid Waste and How it Could Impact Alternative Fuel Use, Cement Americas (October 2011) (Co-Author).
- Waste Recycling: When Will Resources be Conserved and Recovered under RCRA? Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference, 2011 (Presenter).
- Waste Management and Disposal in America, Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference, (2011) ( Presenter).
- Regulatory Implications for New Waste to Energy Projects, Florida Chamber Environmental Permitting Summer School, 2011. (Presenter).
- EPA Redefinition of Solid Waste, Florida Chamber Environmental Permitting Summer School, July 2011. (Presenter).
- Environmental and Land Use Considerations for Real Estate Transaction, The Florida Bar, Tampa, FL (January 29, 2010).
- Insuring Against Environmental Unknowns, 23 Florida State University Journal of Land Use and Environmental law 61 (2007).
- Florida Supreme Court Takes Property Owners to the Cleaner: The Impact of Aramark v. Easton, The Florida Bar Journal, Vol.79, No. 6 (June 2005).
Awards & Recognition
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers, 2010 Edition.